Have you recently undergone oral surgery? If so, there are things you need to do to properly recover. Recovery is essential when restoring your oral health and function, so make sure to take it seriously. Our team and Dr. W. Stuart Dexter are happy to tell you all about how to properly recover. It’s best to do the following things:
– Rest for one to three days after the treatment. This is very important because resting can help you properly and effectively recover. Your dentist will recommend the proper recovery time after your appointment.
– Avoid brushing your teeth for about 24 hours. This is important because the mouth is still very sensitive 24 hours after the treatment. If you need to, rinse with water to clean the mouth.
– Ice your jaw often to reduce swelling and pain. It’s best to ice in 20-minute intervals, which means to ice for 20 minutes, take a break for 15 minutes, and then ice for another 20 minutes.
– Avoid eating hard foods and sipping through a straw. These things can dislodge clots in the mouth and cause complications involving severe pain and discomfort.
– Only eat soft foods and drink plenty of liquids. It’s very important to stay nourished and hydrated while you’re healing.
– Take your pain medications as recommended. This can help you rest easy and relax.
Do you have any questions about how to properly recover after oral surgery in Prairie Village, Kansas? If so, please reach out to W. Stuart Dexter, DDS and talk to a member of our dental team. When you dial 913-362-8200, we will be more than happy to help you in any way we can. We look forward to your phone call!